Wix: Beer and two tech talks: Demystify Git | Build Web Apps like it’s 2030
Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Join us for a night in which two expert speakers will give practical insights into the present and future of software development, enjoy snacks and drinks on the house!
6:00 – 6:15 Meet and snack
6:15 – 6:45 Demystifying git
6:45 – 8:30 Build web apps like it’s 2030
8:30 – 9:30 Snack and mingle
Demystifying git / Adam Matan
When I started using git 7 years ago, I was baffled by its mysterious jargon and intimidated by the occasional French-revolution threat You are in detached HEAD. WAT? I do like my head attached, so I kept the secret industry best practice: stick to add, commit, pull and push, and if anything goes wrong – copy the repo to another dir, pray, and apply some online black magic. This sucks. I decided to learn git from the first principles. In this session I will explain the git fundamentals: file structure, SHAs, and objects, commits, refs and branches, up to the git interactive rebase. After this session, you should be able to understand git man pages, error messages, and repo states – without losing your HEAD.
Build Web Apps like it’s 2030 / Jonathan Avinor
Building a web app is easier said than done. Designing the front end, wiring up the back end, setting up a database and making everything sing together is no trivial task; it takes a lot of time and effort. But why should it?
Serverless was supposed to alleviate a lot of these bootstrapping pains. Abstracting away the server, scaling at the click of a button, and reducing costs all sound like good ideas. However, every rose has its thorns: a steep learning curve, problematic billing, and loads of jargon are just a few.
As an industry, we can do better. So come find out how to build a web app like it’s 2030. You, the developer, have the ability to customize and code anything, but you also have out-of-the-box tools so you don’t need to. See how you can use an intuitive drag-n-drop front end, with seamless integration to your backend and database. Find out how web apps are supposed to be built.
* Adam Matan is an R&D manager at Wix, building a serverless platform for a the rapid development of web apps. Ex Dev/DevRel at Reshuffle, Waze, Yahoo, and Vioozer. He’s been building backend apps for the last decade. Public speaker, Serverless Days TLV founder, Serverless Nights TLV co-founder. Linux and Bitcoin fan. Based in Tel Aviv. His public key is F83B4D4DB6C43726.
* Jonathan Avinor is a software engineer, teacher, and quite the math geek. After more than a decade in the software industry, he is haunted by numerous questions. What makes code readable? What’s the best way to spread knowledge in a team? How should developer interviews be conducted? Are these questions important? Writing code, giving talks and workshops, and learning from the talented engineers at Wix are just a few of the ways he’s trying to answer these questions and many more.
Location: Wix Lounge 500 Terry A Francois Blvd
San Francisco, CA 94158, United States
IBM: Serverless Mobile Backend as a Service
Thursday, February 13, 2020, 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
So you’ve been hearing a lot of buzz about Serverless tech, but what exactly is the serverless or cloud functions? Come join IBM Developer’s in-person workshop and find out!
Serverless has become the new style of coding, and it can be used to offload your mobile apps without incurring unnecessary costs. Get an intro into serverless/function-as-a-service/cloud functions technologies and learn why startups and enterprises are so excited about using it.
We will be demoing Serverless with mobile development, and covering:
– Who are the players in the Serverless ecosystem?
– What are some use cases for Serverless solutions – with using a Docker as the Polyglot action
– Best practices for the Serverless architecture for Mobile Backend as a Service
– Whether going Serverless is really faster, better, cheaper for developers and organizations
– Live coding examples using Swift, iOS, and Java and Android
Your instructors are Developer Advocates from IBM SF City Team. If you are interested join us and RSVP now!
Location: Galvanize San Francisco 44 Tehama St
San Francisco, California 94105, United States
Bay Meetup | Shawee | CI&T
Friday, February 14, 2020, 5:30 PM to 8:45 PM
At our one Year FREE and in-person meetup from the Bay Area Meetup Tech Series, Shawee and CI&T invites you to connect with the communities and providing reliable, exciting content, with major influencers and speakers from developer communities.
Location: CI&T Prisma Bay Area
1330 Broadway · Oakland, CA
Pakistan Tech Summit 2020 – Silicon Valley
Saturday, February 15, 2020, 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM PST
Pakistan Tech Summit 2020 – Silicon Valley is an invite-only event organized to celebrate startups, innovators and inventors working on disruptive technologies around the globe.
The event will showcase a delegation of 50+ entrepreneurs, technology experts and leaders visiting from Pakistan.
Location: Draper University
44 E 3rd Ave, San Mateo, CA 94401, United States